Re: [nv-l] IBM InfoPrinter1145 Traps

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] IBM InfoPrinter1145 Traps
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:13:40 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:21:45 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
This is a problem with traps from some enterprises (although the 2
examples you show below do seem to have different specific trap numbers
- 4 for Paper Jam and 8 for Cover Open). However if you are getting
traps with the same Enterprise OID - Generic Trap - Specific Trap
definitions, but which differ in the CONTENT of the variables, then you
need to do some scripting work yourself. Ideally, you also feedback to
the manufacturer but if these are old printers, then the chance of them
changing their trap definitions is very small.

If you search the archive,
http://lists.skills-1st.co.uk/mharc/html/nv-l/ you will find other
entries discussing a similar topic - this one for instance
http://lists.skills-1st.co.uk/mharc/html/nv-l/2002-11/msg00233.html.

Another possible option is to use the ruleset editor to process traps
based on the content of a trap variable. For example, if you have a
device that sends one trap with one trap variable with a string of text
such as "Hellow world 1", and it also sometimes sends the same trap but
the first variable says "Hello world 2" and you want to do different
things based on whether the number is "1" or "2"...... then create a
ruleset whhich uses the Event Attribute box. Your attribute will be 1.3
(ie. the third word of the first variable) and the value will be set to
either 1 or 2. You specify the action you want to take if this criteria
is met - probably an action that runs a script.

Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights