Re: [nv-l] Ruleset Question

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Ruleset Question
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:54:12 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:04:27 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

You haven't identified a match condition, so I would say Threshold.
You'd want your TESTTRAP to be the first one in an hour, and that would launch your script.

But this business about the second hour is not well-defined.  There is no mechanism for escalation unless you put a timer in your original script which goes to sleep for an hour and wakes up to do your escalation.   When the original hour is up and another TESTTRAP comes in it will launch a new copy of the original script, not some new one.

I think you need to give some more thought to your application design.

Surely you'd need some way to cancel the original script or to check at least whether escalation is still required.  My guess is that you are going to need more than one trap and probably a more complex ruleset.  Some folks write to temporary files when they start a long running process and then have other events which clear out those files when the process should stop.  You can also use fields in the database for this.  That's exactly what the Corrstat1 - Corrstat4 fields are for, so that users can set and clear them to determine when and how their automation should proceed.   When you set them in a ruleset, they will get added to the node you set them for if they don't exist.

HTH

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Colson, Donna" <Donna.Colson@ssa.gov>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/22/2003 03:25 PM