Re: [nv-l] mib2trap utility

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] mib2trap utility
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:02:16 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:13:32 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

(1)Traps are defined in a MIB either by TRAP-TYPE statements (SNMP V1) or NOTIFICATION-TYPE (SNMP V2 and later) statements.
If your MIB doesn't have any of these, then it doesn't define traps.  Running mib2trap on it will give you nothing.

(2) Vendors can send pretty much whatever they want so long as it is formatted correctly.  There is no standard detailing what has to be in a trap.
A trapd can be sent with the vendors' OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.18  or with a standard OID such as MIB-II data, .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2, which all SNMP agents are required to support.  The vendor gets to choose what he will do.

When you right-click the event in the browser on Windows and select "Event Details" it will popup a Window and show you what all the components of the incoming trap were.  The will be logged the same way in trapd.log (if you have enabled that) when the trap format is not found.   You can use this information to define the trap manually or to try to find the MIB which defines it so that you have a better understanding of what the variables mean. mib2trap is just a convenience tool.  If you have the right MIB,  it will create an  addtrap script which provide a default definition for that enterprise id and trap number, but that's about all.  Most people will want to modify that entry to make it more meaningful anyway.  If you don't have the right MIB and the meaning of the data is obvious, it is probably easier just to add the trap with Trap Settings and be done with it.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Brian Kraftchick <Brian.Kraftchick@odfl.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/23/2003 12:41 PM