Re: [nv-l] False down event in trapd.log

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] False down event in trapd.log
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 05:41:58 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:51:19 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
What is happening is that the ping is timing out before it returns. You
might try increasing the timeout, this may however, not alleviate the
problem.

My biggest suggestion would be to upgrade NetView. You are currently
5 revisions behind the newest code and 4 versions behind stable code.
You are running version 6 which is no longer supported, a call to
support at this point is not going to help much. I think the problems
that you may be seeing are fixed in the newer versions of NetView.

Paul

anand anupam wrote:

    Hello Everyone,
We are monitoring few critical servers (W2K/Unix) throgh
    NetView(6.0.2/AIX4.3.3). We have discovered them by putting into
    seed file.
We do snmp poll to these servers at 10m interval with 5 second
    imeout and 3 retries parameters.
Sometimes, we get follwing down event in trapd.log ;- 1067224466 3 Mon Oct 27 08:44:26 2003 SRSRO_COMPAQ2 N
    Interface net1 down.
    1067224466 3  Mon Oct 27 08:44:26 2003 SRSRO_COMPAQ2             N
    Node Down.
Here SRSRO_COMPAQ2 is name of the W2K server. But, administrators of these servers confirm that these servers
    were never down. Even in system/application logs of these servers,
    no event is logged showing it down or network issue.
Any suggestion on this false events in trapd.log please? Regards,
    Anupam Kr. Anand

The information contained in this message is BPCL's Confidential and Proprietary information and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, he/she is hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of its content is strictly prohibited. In such case, please advise the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Further acknowledges that any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and no binding nature of the message shall be implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due authority of BPCL.