RE: [nv-l] trap DEFAULT FMT

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] trap DEFAULT FMT
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:09:40 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:19:47 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

One flaw with  Windows is that it does not come with a good scripting language.  UNIX is far superior in this regard.  You might want to see about installing PERL or REXX if you are going to get fancy.

In any case, I don't know what is failing for you because I don't know how you are trying to reference the passed variable in the bat file.  You pass them in just the way you say is failing.

Here's an example.  This script, email.bat was something I wrote and stuck in \usr\ov\bin to call the nvmail command from a trap:

C:\usr\ov\bin\nvmail -server tester.raleigh.ibm.com ^
-recipient jshanks@us.ibm.com -subject "urgent: test node down" -message " %1 is down!"

No matter what you pass, the first variable i %1 in your script, the second is %2, and so on.

To run it, you'd just type  "email   <whatever>"  on the command line.    To have it pass $2, the standard NetView hostname variable from a trap, you would use trap setting and have the command line say   c:\usr\ov\bin\email.bat  $2      If you wanted to pass more variables you can.  Just be aware that you have to enclose those which contain spaces (like $3) with quotation marks:    c:\usr\ov\bin\myscript.bat  $2 "$3"

Hope this helps!

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Brian Kraftchick <Brian.Kraftchick@odfl.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/29/2003 10:25 AM