Re: [nv-l] SNMP v2c - SNMP v2u

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP v2c - SNMP v2u
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:34:06 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:43:00 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

I didn't think there was a formatting difference, so perhaps you should ask for further clarification or a sample to test with.
Offhand, I would say SNMP V2c, though I am unsure of just what v2u is.  I thought the difference here was whether you support community name based security,  and trapd does not.

And I don't understand what the baroc defs have to do with that at all.    When NetView gets your V2 trap, he will treat it just like a V1 trap, in fact he will internally map it to a V1 trap, just as a bilingual receiver is supposed to do per RFC 2089.  That's what he does now.  And then he reads trapd.conf and pulls the baroc class name and slots you have defined there and sends an event to TEC.  So what goes to TEC will not be trap but a TEC event, just like the ones you see now.   So what you give to TEC and what you put in trapd.conf for those entries will be blind to whether the trap is V1 or V2.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Qureshi, Fawad" <Fawad.Qureshi@ssa.gov>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/31/2003 04:07 PM