RE: [nv-l] Sun Servers not responding.

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Sun Servers not responding.
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:41:35 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:49:26 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
If you send the wrong community string to a sun box it will answer. I would
check your community strings in /etc/snmp/conf. My guess is you have the wrong
community string but the mib is still answering: here is an example

[ntv-denver01:root] /root#>snmpwalk -c bogusstring ntv-denver01 system
no MIB objects contained under subtree.
[ntv-denver01:root] /root#>

This snmp walk is done on my netview server TO my netview server with an
obviously bogus string. The mib does NOT time out (which it should on an
invalid community string). Therefore it's a "valid" response and as such,
NetView believes it got a response. Check /var/adm/messages on those machines
for evidence.

Furthermore, all of my solaris netview servers will no longer walk the IBM mib
(the mgragentd does not register with snmpdx). I have support looking into that
part.

Recommendation: Get UCD-SNMP (or now called NET::SNMP)