Re: [nv-l] Discovery question

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Discovery question
From: "Bernard Disselborg" <BDisselborg@triple-p.nl>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:03:23 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:12:56 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Swen,

NetView on Unix doesn't do a broadcast ping. NetView on Windows can,
IIRC.
You have help/force discovery by pinging nodes manually, using a
seedfile or using the loadhosts command.

HTH,

Bernard

>>> Swen.Jedlicka@finanzit.com 05-01-2004 10:21:53 >>>
Hi all,

first  " a happy new year" to everybody.

I have a question about discovery of layer 2 devices :

In my opinion netview discovers a subnet , while reading
the routing table of a layer 3 device. The devices in this subnet
become discoverd only, when they appear in the arp table of
the layer 3 device.

How discovers netview a layer 2 device in this subnet, which do not
appear in the arp table. Does netview do a braodcast ping?

Thanks

Swen

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Kind regards