Re: [nv-l] [nv 7.1.4] Suppressing duplicate clogMessageGenerated traps p

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] [nv 7.1.4] Suppressing duplicate clogMessageGenerated traps prior to reaching TEC
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:29:36 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:58:27 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

The first order of business is to stop trying to do this at TEC and start doing it in the Event Display.
Only when you have it working there should you implement it as part of your TEC ruleset.  The Event Display and the TEC forwarding work exactly alike, so once you can see it, you know it will work.

Second,  All rulesets start with the event stream node, the thing that looks like a purple pizza.  Open your ruleset in the ruleset editor, nvrsEdit, and click on the Event Stream.  Does it say BLOCK or PASS.  It must say BLOCK if your ruleset is going to filter events out.

Third, what ruleset nodes precede your Threshold?  Trap Settings?  Event Attributes?  What?  How do you know you are thresholding on the right traps?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Van Order, Drew \(US - Hermitage\)" <dvanorder@deloitte.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

01/20/2004 07:50 PM