[nv-l] $NVA Populated with the NetView server Name

To: "Nv-L (nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com)" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] $NVA Populated with the NetView server Name
From: "Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik@pbsg.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:40:54 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:51:24 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
NetView 7.1.3 FP1 AIX 4.3.3

I have created a Smartset based off of a specific value in the sysLocation
field. I then have a ruleset that runs that looks for Node Up and Node Down
traps, checks to see if the node is in the Smartset and if it is I pass the
variables $NVT $NVA $NVATTR_3 and pass them to a log file. I have something
weird happening from time to time though. Event though my NetView server is
NOT in the Smartset and does NOT have that sysLocation attribute, sometimes
the NetView servers name is passed in the $NVT variable slot. So what I end
up seeing in my log file is:

2003/12/12 09:47:11 netviewserver.mynetwork.com Node Down\.

Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,

Scott Bursik
PBSG