Re: [nv-l] Specifics about location.conf

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Specifics about location.conf
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:48:50 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:57:17 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi Jason,
I think you are saying that you really only want to discover 1 interface for each of your routers?? Sorry - no can do. If you discover a box and that box has SNMP support, NetView will find all interfaces unless your seedfile explicitly excludes the /box/. No way to discover half of a box.

That said, you have various options. You can put router entries into location.conf to say which location to force a router into. Try checking the NV 7.1 Release Notes (p17) which has clearer info on gateway placement - basically you can specify any interface of the router (but it must be an exact address - no wildcards), along with the location you want that router in. Router entries override network entries. If you have 2 entries for a router on different interfaces, the first one will be used. If you want to subsequently unmanage interfaces that you're not interested in, you could do that. However, if you specify, for example, that a router with interface 1.2.3.4 goes in location England and that router also has an interface 2.3.4.5 then once you drill down into the location that contains network 2 and then drill down into its networks and segments, I think you will find the router also represented there (because it also/ belongs// /there - it has an interface in that network 2!). What you/ should /win is that it will no longer be on the top level Internet map.

Cheers,
Jane

Duppong, Jason wrote:

Hello List,
First of all, thank you VERY much to those that answered my initial newbie
list of questions.  I have made a lot of progress in getting things up and
running.  Based on Leslie's example netmon.seed file I was able to get
discovery working where I think it will be acceptable to all the groups
involved.  Now that I have discovery working I would like to have the IP Map
automatically group things based on what I define in my location.conf.
After doing a lot of searching in the archives, reading documentation, and
testing various ideas I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused as to how Netview
uses the location.conf to group items.

Would someone confirm my understanding?

Given the following location.conf:

ABC10           10.1            City
XYZ192      192.1       City
ATT12       12          State
UUNET65     65          State
UUNET63     63          State
UUNET208    208                 State

        1. A node with a single interface and an address of 10.1.1.10 would
be placed into the ABC10 group
        2. A node with two interfaces, one address of 10.1.1.1 and another
of 192.1.1.1 would be placed into the IP Map (no common network location)
        3. A node with two interfaces, one address of 10.1.1.254 and another
of 172.1.1.1 would again show up in the IP Map (no matching location for
second address)

I've found a few discussions based on the changes made to Netview 7.1.x
allowing specific placement of gateways.  Where I'm getting a bit lost is
how IPMap treats the gateway entries, if I add the following to my above
location.conf example:

ATT12       12
UUNET65     65
UUNET63     63
UUNET208    208

The way I'm understanding the documentation, a node with an interface and
address of 12.x.x.x would then be placed into the ATT12 container,
regardless of the total number of interfaces and their IP addresses.  If one
of these particular interfaces had a 10.1.1.100 address, would it fall into
ATT12 because it is the first matching "Gateway" entry?  The section titled
"Gateway/Router Entries" in the 7.1 release notes seems a bit vague.

I don't know how different my situation is vs. other people, but I have a
large number of routers with multiple interfaces, but we only want one of
these interfaces in Netview.  If I remove the interfaces, they would be
found with discovery/polling so I thought I could create a location.conf
entry like this that would combine all the extra addresses:

Internet 1-254  Generic

I placed this entry at the top of my location.conf hoping that the more
specific entries for other containers would simply pull their appropriate
nodes/interfaces out of the Internet container.  After doing this I'm still
getting tons and tons of entries in my root IP Map, so much so that I cannot
even view an object zoomed as far as I can go.

I would really like to have the map draw automagically, so I'm hoping a bit
of clarification will help.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565