Re: [nv-l] Passing OID from TRAP to script???

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Passing OID from TRAP to script???
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 08:24:48 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:37:51 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Well, I'm afraid you will have to get rather creative here, because the answers are just what you already expect.

1. Command for automatic action is available only under the events window. It will send the entire formatted string of the message text that was passed to nvevents.

2. What all the daemons (nvcorrd, ovactiond) get is not the trap itself but an event structure which contains the data passed in the trap, but not the MIB identifier for that data.

Offhand, I don't know what to tell you. Most traps contain data in fixed positions, with each varbind representing the same MIB OID every time. That is the standard model used by almost all vendors and it is what is recommended by the IETF. That's the model that NetView uses. The OID is the wrapper, if you will, and it is discarded, after the data is unwrapped.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@princeton.edu>Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@princeton.edu>

          Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@princeton.edu>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com