Re: [nv-l] events/traps

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] events/traps
From: "Alan E. Hennis" <Hennis_Alan_E@cat.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:07:11 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:17:57 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
My vote would be to make this a feature. It would be nice to be able to do
some preprocessing of the trap messages before they are displayed in the
event browser or as a Popup Message. I would rather see this in the native
interface first. In my opinion the WEB interface is far from being
complete. I will not touch the WEB interface until it provides exactly all
the features of the native interface.

Thanks
Alan E. Hennis
Caterpillar Inc.
Systems+Process Division
309.494.3308
hennis_alan_e@cat.com

                      Francois Le Hir

                      <flehir@ca.ibm.co

                      m>

                      Sent by:

                      owner-nv-l@lists. To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

                      us.ibm.com        cc:

                      02/04/2004 03:46

                      PM                  Subject:      Re: [nv-l] events/traps

                      Please respond to

                      nv-l

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 03/05/2004
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

Is there any chance we would one day have this type of feature in the web
console ?
ie select an event and execute a specific action, or issue a popup in the
web console

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 205 6695

             James Shanks
             <jshanks@us.ibm.c
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] events/traps
             02/04/2004 04:33
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

The short answer is "no".

The long answer is that you would have to do something clever, such as set
that trap to "Don't Log or Display" (or "Log Only" if you want a record of
it) and then configure a Command for Automatic Action which would pass the
trap variables to a script of your own making, which would do the math and
re-issue the trap, with a different specific id, using snmptrap.  That's
the one  you would want to display in the nvevents window.

Another alternative would be if you are willing to let the operator
intervene and select the original trap in the nvevents window, and cause
the math to happen in a pop-up window.  That's called "configuring an
additional action" in xnmtrap.  The man page on trapd.conf will tell you
what variables you pass to your script (they are different from the $1, $2,
etc you specify for trapd because you are dealing not with the trap any
more but with the formatted message in the event window) and you can
massage them there and have  the script tell the operator whatever you
wish.  To drive it, the operator selects the event in the window, pulls
down "Options --> Additional Actions --> Selected" and then picks the
action he wants from the list.  When he picks yours, the script would run
in a popup window which would display the output to him.

I hope this is clear.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

    "Christopher J Petrina"
    <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>                             To:
    Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com        nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                        cc:
                                                        Subject:
    02/04/2004 04:13 PM                         [nv-l] events/traps
    Please respond to nv-l

Greetings all,

I have read through most of the documentation that I can find about traps
and events, did not see any real information on the following maybe someone
knows the answer.

in the xnmtrap area can I do any type of math.   meaning I have a trapt hat
comes in where $1 = some number.   I want the msg to to say like $1/1000
and give the result of it.   Is this possible inside the xnmtrap msg area.
Basically can I do any math in the msg statement using {} or anything?

Thanks
Chris Petrina