Re: [nv-l] NetView 7.1.3 Netware Mibs

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView 7.1.3 Netware Mibs
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:56:06 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:03:33 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
It tells you either that the community string you are using has different
rights on the different servers or that the servers have snmp agents that
support different mibs. Maybe what you need is just to enable the support
of the mibs in the server that don't have the information.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 205 6695

             "Anthony J
             Segelhorst"
             <ajs15@meadwestva                                          To
             co.com>                   nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.
             us.ibm.com                                            Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] NetView 7.1.3 Netware
                                       Mibs
             02/26/2004 10:26
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

There is a differently a huge difference in the two servers.

With a snmpwalk -c abc123 $hostname on a node that the Netware oids walk
fine, I get over 10,000 lines back,
With a snmpwalk -c abc123 $hostname on a node that the Netware oids do not
walk fine, I only get about 610 lines back.

So is this telling me the community string I am using does not have the
same rights on the different servers or something else?

Anthony J Segelhorst
Enterprise Systems Management Team
Phone: 937-495-1876
Email: ajs15@meadwestvaco.com

       Francois Le Hir
       <flehir@ca.ibm.com>                   To:
       Sent by:                      nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
       owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com           cc:
                                             Subject:        Re: [nv-l]
                                     NetView 7.1.3 Netware Mibs
       02/26/2004 09:56 AM
       Please respond to nv-l

Anthony,

from the snmpwalk. You will see some text instead of just the oid. However
if you don't get a result with this oid on some of the servers when you are
able to see the standard mibs then either some view have been defined on
the server for this community string to not allow some specific oid to be
seen (I know it exist with cisco and AIX but wouldn't know how to configure
it with netware), or this oid is simply not supported on some of the
servers. (maybe some snmp subagent have been configured on some servers but
not others ?)

did you try doing a snmpwalk from top to bottom on a server that respond to
the oid and on a server that doesn't respond ?
you can redirect the result to a file and compare the two and see exactly
what oid respond on each server. You should see the standard mib like
"system" with both.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 205 6695

            "Anthony J
            Segelhorst"
            <ajs15@meadwestva                                          To
            co.com>                   nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
            owner-nv-l@lists.
            us.ibm.com                                            Subject
                                      [nv-l] NetView 7.1.3 Netware Mibs

            02/26/2004 09:26
            AM

            Please respond to
                  nv-l

I have question that might be off topic for this list.

We have about 150 netware servers and I can walk the standard V1 mibs fine
in Netview (snmpwalk -c abc123 $hostname).  When I try and walk some of the
netware servers for the Netware Mibs, oid = 1.3.6.1.4.1.23.2.28.2.14.1.2
(nwVolPhysicalName) I get no return code.

Here is the command I am using:
snmpwalk -c abc123 $hostname .1.3.6.1.4.1.23.2.28.2.14.1.2

If I can walk some of the netware servers and not with this oid, does this
mean they have not loaded the standard Netware Mibs on the Netware Server?
Can someone tell me or point me to documentation explain how to load this
MIBS on the server?

Currently my Netware design folks cannot tell me the difference between the
netware servers I can walk and the ones I can not.  I do not think it is a
community string issue.