[nv-l] Seedfile entries not being discovered

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] Seedfile entries not being discovered
From: "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:08:22 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:29:46 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I have seen this now for awhile.   I have ip addresses in the seed file that are not being discovered.  Theya re valid and pingable IP addresses. I reviewed the netmon.trace log and it shows both a sending and a receiving of a ping from 10.213.1.6 but nothing else.  When I do an ovtopodump | grep 10.213.1.6 returns no value either.   I ahve seen this in many of the IP addresses.  All of which have basically the same entries in netmon.trace they are sent a ping they return the answer and then nothing more comes of these devices.  These are by the way L3 switches/Router ip addresses.   I never thought anything of it since finding devices via a seedfile is a very core level of Netview and never have I heard of Netview not finding a device in the seedfile when it was alive.   So Ithought it could be the way in whcih I was discovering them.  But this just does not seem to make sense to me.  Any h! elp?   it is a fairly big seedfile as we are not doing auto discovery.  We only want to discover what is in the seedfile.

Chris Petrina