Re: [nv-l] was aixmib.my -- more about enterprises.ibm.4...

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] was aixmib.my -- more about enterprises.ibm.4...
From: lucian.vanghele@bisnet.ro
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:44:37 +0200
Cc: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:00:13 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
hi there !

sorry for not replying such a long period.  I think I better present you what a need to do:

I'm following 12 racks each with 2 APC UPSs and when both are onBattery I must, somehow, to shutdown all machines that are on those UPSs. There could be windows and AIX machines in the same rack. I'm trying to do this using a rule that looks for traps upsOnBattery, correlate them (of course it is also looks for trap no9 which is powerrestored, just in case) and ...do something. In the first place I was thinking to do a snmpset to initiate a shutdown (in aixmib.my file I found such a snmp variable). Now I'm thinking to use an action and run a script via rexec on the machine. But here I have other problems (see the message on the list).

Anyway if someone have another idea... I 'm here to try it!

thanks a lot!

enterprises.ibm.4...  is the major part of the OID for the NetView subagent for AIX, otherwise known as trapgend.  If you see this when you snmpwalk the AIX box then trapgend is installed and active on that box.

You have an ibm-nv6ksubagent.mib in \usr\ov\snmp_mibs.  If you want to query elements on the subagent MIB, I'd load that.

I found the aixmib.my on an AIX 5.2 box in  /usr/samples/snmpd.

You can load it, along with all the all the other MIBs there, in NetView for Windows using either loadmibv2 or  mibloader.bat.
But to extract the trap definitions out of it correctly you have to do some editing.  The MIBs in that directory do not include the one that defines the ibmProd  tree structure.  But  the   ibm-nv6ksubagent.mib  does.  So either you have to make a big new MIB file, in which you concatenate aixmib.my to the  ibm-nv6ksubagent.mib, and run mib2trap on the combination, or you have to edit aixmib.my and add what's missing. Right after the
the MODULE-IDENTITY statement , which ends with
         ::= { ibmProd 191 }

insert these two statements:

         ibm                   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { enterprises 2 }
         ibmProd              OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ibm 6 }

Then run mib2trap against the file, specifying the name of a bat you want to be created for the addtrap commands to go.  Then when you execute that file, the traps will be added.

But whether you can get AIX to send them to you, and in SNMP V1 format is another matter.
To receive SNMP V2 trapd, you would have to be using NetView for UNIX.   Why not find a nice AIX box to put it on?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
----- Forwarded by James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM on 03/08/2004 04:41 PM -----

    James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
    Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

    03/08/2004 09:16 AM
    Please respond to
    nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
    Re: [nv-l] aixmib.my
Where did you get aixmib.my?  If the rest us knew what the source was, perhaps someone else could try it.

The rest of your questions betray some kind of misunderstanding about MIBs and traps.

First, there are three mibloaders and browsers in NetView for Windows.  Only two of those will support SNMP V2 MIBs, and usually, a MIB file name of ".my" is for SNMP V2.  You can probably load such a MIB with loadmibv2 or the java loader for the web client, mibloader.bat.  Once loaded you can browser it with browserv2 or the java browser for the web client, mibbrowser,bat.

Second, loading MIBs has little to do with traps.  In order for the contents of the MIB to be used to format a trap, you must first run mib2trap on the MIB file, and then run the output bat file it creates to add the trap to NetView.  This  does not happen automatically.

Finally, the agent on your AIX box must send his traps in SNMP V1 format. You can receive any SNMP V1 trap using the NetView for Windows product, but NetView for Windows does not support  SNMP V2 traps at all.  They will be discarded and never show up in the Event Browser.  If you don't know which the agent will send, you could direct it to send to NetView anyway.  If you see something in the Event Browser from that agent, then you can use mib2trap to format it, if you like.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

    lucian.vanghele@bisnet.ro
    Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

    03/08/2004 06:03 AM

    Please respond to
    nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
    [nv-l] aixmib.my
hi there list!
does anyone succesufully imported aixmib.my in netview (7.1.3 on windows)?
can I use it to receive some traps? also do you know what is
enterprises.ibm.4... ? I can't see this branch in web console mib browser
but if I walk on ibm branch I have lots of oids starting with this.
thanks..
Lucian