[nv-l] Discovery and network migration, couple questions

To: "nv-l (nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com)" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Discovery and network migration, couple questions
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:00:58 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:12:39 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Going to try to not confuse with too many details.

We are migrating underlying infrastructure and I am working on the procedures to migrate currently discovered and managed nodes as well as the procedures for discovering and managing new nodes.  Good news is neither the NMS or the old end Nodes changing addresses.  For lamens sake we have:

NMS -> <cloud A> -> Managed Node

Migrating to ...

NMS -> <cloud B> -> Managed Node

Our paradigm is to manage through cloud A, manage end Node, unmanage and hide cloud A on map.

1.  Once a node is discovered and managed, if the underlying data flow, paths, hardware, etc change, does the end Node need to be rediscovered (deleted and discovered) in the NV DB?

Our new Cloud B border router has an access list to not allow SNMP traffic (any traffic) to the NMS originating from within the cloud, HOWEVER it will allow traffic originating from the end Node.  This breaks our current set of procedures to manage through the cloud to get to the end Node.

2.  Is it possible in NV to not discover through the cloud to get to the end Node, but instead create symbols/objects for the end nodes and demand poll them and they be added to the Netview DB, thus circumventing the cloud all together?

Thanks in advance,

Jason Allison
Principal Engineer
ARINC Incorporated