Re: [nv-l] NV 714 and Cisco NAT

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NV 714 and Cisco NAT
From: Michael Webb <mlwebb@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:09:08 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:19:32 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

(I work with Feroz)

We have 5 end nodes with a single IP address that have their IP addresses being translated by a Cisco NAT. During initial discovery, these devices were not discovered, probably because their true IP addresses are not reachable from the NetView server. This morning, those devices do show up on our AIX machine, but not the Windows machine (maybe I need to wait longer?). So on the Windows NetView server, I pinged the end nodes so make them show up.

As pointed out by Siraj, these nodes on the AIX machine do show up with the anticipated hostname and sysName field, and are in a separate, but expected, subnet according to the subnet of the translated IP addresses. In contrast, the Windows NetView server showed these nodes in the subnet according to the class of the IP address (class B), and not according to the true mask of the IP addresses themselves (class C).

The question originally made by Feroz is whether or not we are forced to manually ping the translated end nodes in order to get the nodes to appear. He is using a Windows machine and it appears if that is the case. I am using an AIX machine, and today they appeared on their own.

As a reminder, the the netmon.conf was modified as follows:

NV_NETMON_DISCOVER_RIBB_AND_NATDADDR=TRUE

Michael Webb, IBM Tivoli
Q1CA Distributed NetView / ITSA SVT
Email: mlwebb@us.ibm.com
Ext: (919) 224-1410, T/L: 687-1410