Re: [nv-l] Netview and OSPF

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview and OSPF
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:26:02 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 16:35:23 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I think you are expecting way too much here, making it more complicated than it is.
I'm not the netmon expert, but I do know that auto discovery is a step-wise process.  He discovers devices one step at a time, using the closest first.

My understanding is that NetView is reading your routing table only to find the next hop.      He's only looking for a gateway device that he can add to his database, and that he can then pull the arp cache from to find new devices.  How the packets get routed to the end device are not his concern.
My belief is that he has no knowledge whatsoever of OSPF or any other router protocol, because he doesn't need it.

Someone will no doubt chime in if I am mistaken, but if the routing protocol were important, then (a) it would appear as a filed in the database for router objects, and (b) we would have a place for you to configure it, probably in xnmsnmpconf.  Neither of those is the case.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

04/02/2004 09:38 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Netview and OSPF

Question:   is there any type of information about how Netview deals with the OSPF protocol?   I may be far gone in left field about this, but if I understand the gist of things links in NV are determined mainly by the routing tables of routers and the subnets.   How does NV deal with Summary routes and multiple open routes between devices, and segments?

Any information would be helpful

Thank you

Chris Petrina

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster@MeadWestvaco.com.