RE: [nv-l] documentation regarding location.conf

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] documentation regarding location.conf
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:31:50 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:45:29 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I've done a few and it's not hard;  just a tedious job.   To do it you must understand your network topology.  It isn't complicated and there really isn't much more to say than is in the sources you named and the mailing list archives.  Here's my cookbook approach.

Bill Evans
Tivoli NetView Support for DOE
301-903-0057

My approach:

Build the map manually so it looks correct.  At least do it on paper so you understand the topology.
  1. Create a temporary Location Container (ICON) on your IP Internet map.   Cut everything from the master map and paste it in the location container.
  2. Create location containers to represent your Home Site and other main geographic or organizational divisions. Keep the number down about twenty.  For your ninety sites I'd expect about ten regions plus home.
  3. Go to the temporary Location container and use the Locate menu function to find the routers at your Home Site.  You may need the Shift-ClickAndDrag to magnify the map to find what you're looking for.
    1. Select the highlighted items and any one-legged networks connected to them and cut them FROM THIS SUBMAP.
    2. Go to your Home Site submap and paste them.
  4. Go to each of your regional locations and create individual Location Containers for sites in those regions.
  5. Go to the temporary Location Container, locate and cut the routers associated with the site and any one-legged networks.  Paste them in the appropriate Location Container.
  6. REPEAT for the NINETY locations.  There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.  If the routers and their one-legged networks make the location too messy, create a Location just to hold the router and its networks but prefix the router name with Rtr- to make the name unique.
  7. Place the intra-region multi-leg networks on the Regional maps and they will connect the Sites.  Place Multi-Region connecting networks on the top level.
Now start on the Location.conf file.  You have two choices, get the tool now on the web and capture the map you built by hand or build the location.conf file by hand.  We don't worry about networks at this point.

Create entries for the IP Internet level.  Using the address 255 as a place holder will create the container. It will look like:
HomeSite    255    Site
Region1       255    Site
Region2        255   Site
Create entries for each of the Regional sites and point them back to their parent region.
Site1A    255   Site    Region1
Site1B    255    Site    Region1
Site1C    255  Site    Region1
Create Containers for the Routers and their networks and point them to the parent region.  Make sure none of the location entries have the same name as any router or any other container.
Rtr-Router1A1    255   Room    Site1A
Now create the entries for the Routers using their unique LOOPBACK addresses or their hostname (which will resolve to the loopback address).   These entries all start with the name of the containing location container.  You don't need the type of container or the parenting of the container; they were taken care of with the previous definition.  Omitting the type and parent here avoids problems resulting from conflicting definitions.
Rtr-Router1A1    10.11.12.35
Rtr-Router1C4    Router1C4
Now that we have the file built, clear the existing map (or make one to use for testing) and let the location.conf file control its layout.  The Networks will place themselves in the containers associated with the routers; one-legged networks will be in the same container as its router and multi-legged ones will show up in the regions or the top level.