Re: [nv-l] MLM and AIX

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM and AIX
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:56:18 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:05:46 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I don't mean to butt in, but the MLM guy says he does not know of this problem.  And he is very confused about why you would attempt to install a down-level MLM with NetView 7.1.4.

The MLM that ships with NetView 7.1.4 is MLM 7.1.4, and if you install it on AIX with installp that works fine, I'm told.
Remember that MLMs have to be updated separately from NetView.  Installing  a NetView FixPack does nothing to the MLM that is installed on the NetView box, nor on any other.

If you have trouble installing MLM 7.14 on AIX 5.1 or 5.2 you should open a problem to Support, so it can be properly diagnosed and fixed.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

05/10/2004 12:33 PM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] MLM and AIX

 From memory, the problem with later versions of MLM on AIX 5.1  is that
the install script for MLM doesn't understand the concept of AIX 5.1.  I
know I have hacked this install script and installed the latest MLM code
on AIX 5.1.  The script to hack is /usr/OV/bin/smmlm_smit, somewhere
around line 145.

That's a technical answer.  Now whether it is SUPPORTED or not............

Cheers,
Jane

PS. I have just installed NetView 7.1.4 Fixpack 1 and there is no change
to this in the Fixpack.
Qureshi, Fawad wrote:

> Greetings All,
>

> I have heard that IBM has dropped all support for any AIX version
> other then 5.1. We are running MLM 5.0.4 on AIX 4.3.3 and would have
> to upgrade to AIX 5.1 if this is true. I also heard that MLM 5.0.4 is
> not supported with AIX 5.1. Confirmation / insight will be appreciated.
>

> **Cheers **
>
> ** **
>
> **Fawad Qureshi**

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565