[nv-l] Switch management and port status monitoring

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] Switch management and port status monitoring
From: James Markham <markhaja@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:46:43 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:08:58 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I'm back with another short survey regarding switch management/layer 2 support to better understand how customers might use port status monitoring. Participation is voluntary. Your responses will be very helpful in determining future design direction.

1.  How many switches do you have in your network environment?

2.  If you could, how many switches would you like to monitor?

3.  If you could do port status monitoring on your switches, How would you like to specify the switches to monitor? For example, by hostname, IP address, OID, wildcards, others?

a. If you could prioritize a particular mechanism for specifying switches,

1.  What method would be the most important to you?
2.  What method would be the least important?
3.  Are there particular combinations that are most important in your environment?

b.  Briefly describe the approach you would like to use to configure the switches you would like to monitor.
For example, "I would select  to monitor all switches in a given IP address range, and then I'd exclude certain switches in that address range based on their OID. I'd repeat this for other address ranges." or "I'd monitor the switches in my environment if there hostname contained the string, "*core*"."

4.  What types of ports would you want to monitor on a switch? For example:
 All ports, Trunk ports, Ports connected to another switch or router, Ports assigned to specific VLANs...
What combinations are most important to you?

5.  Would you monitor for different information if it was a core vs. access switch, or core vs. cascaded? If so, what would be the different things you would want to monitor?

6.  What other type of information is important to monitor about a switch?

7.  How do you work with VLANs today?
a.  What type of information would you like to see regarding VLANs?

8.  Would you want to monitor different information for a switch if you were monitoring it for one of your customers, rather than a switch within your own company's infrastructure? If so, what would you do differently?

9.  What tools do you currently use to monitor your switches? What valuable information do they provide?

10.  How do you currently diagnose problems with your switches? What tool helps the most, and how does it help?

Thank you!

Jim Markham

Interaction Design
Tivoli Systems