Re: [nv-l] Cisco OID Seed File

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Cisco OID Seed File
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:47:42 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:11:56 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Not exactly. I usually get good results by using a negative to override a positive. So you could try this:
10.0.0.*   # allow thing in this range (not a subnet, a range)
!@oid 0  # exclude the non-snmp things
!@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.*  # exclude the Microsoft things
!@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.*  # exclude the HP things
!@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.* # exclude the IBM things

As things turn up that you did not want, add a new oid to the list, netmon -y to reload the seedfile, and delete them. That positive range effectively limits discovery to that range. So if you have other ranges, you need to specify them. Then the negatives will apply to all ranges. If you want to allow certain servers, you will have to list them.

Another approach, if this subnet is special, is to exclude that subnet from discovery ( !10.0.0.* ) and then specifically include the cisco devices by listing them individually in the seedfile. This is unneccessary for routers, since they will likely have interfaces on some other subnet which is allowed, and you only need to allow one router interface to get all of them. But you would need to list switches and hubs and other single-ip devices that you wanted to discover.

Detroit

Eric Philips <cls_netview@yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/18/2004 10:27 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Cisco OID Seed File

Is there a detailed FAQ or good examples of the netmon.seed file?

I'm attempting to discover only Cisco devices (all switches) located on a subnet that also contains dozens servers.  Can I specify 10.0.0.* and cisco_oid; not 10.0.0.* or cisco_oid?

Thanks!
Eric

Solaris 5.8
Netview 7.1