RE: [nv-l] GTMD Trap interface

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] GTMD Trap interface
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:05:02 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:32:32 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

The really "picky programmer" in me points out the custom symbols added to the IP map are by definition IP symbols.  Symbols added to the XX map are non-IP.  The object takes on its generic identity from the system within which it exists.

On a historical note the non-IP support was designed into the product with an eye to supporting OSI networks (OSI-map) and a companion product using NetView was available for some years which provided that support.    The thought at the time the AIX, OS2 and Windows SNA support was in development was of a potential to provide an SNA map but fiber networks and IP made that unnecessary or unlikely to be profitable.

As our friend Paul points out, there is, by definition, no connection between the Generic Topology Manager (GTM or XX maps) and the IP Manager.  The IP Manager handles IP objects on IP maps and GTM handles non-IP objects on GTM maps.  The details of the objects may be hard to distinguish but the IP manager cannot do anything with an object on a GTM map and vise versa.

I was there when all this was under discussion.  I was working on another product for interconnection of ATT support systems (anyone remember ATT Accumaster Integrator?) and our development team segued into the development of the OSI network architecture support product.  The market for that product was the telephone industry.  The PTTs seem to have been the only area which went with CMIP and the OSI network model while the commercial world went with SNMP and the IP model.

Bill Evans
Tivoli NetView Support for DOE
301-903-0057