RE: [nv-l] Node keeps coming back

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Node keeps coming back
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:06:37 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:20:41 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

You need to exclude the device(s) from discovery using the seed file.  Otherwise they will eventually be re-discovered.  Think about it.

By default, when you have autodiscovery turned on, netmon will add new devices to the map whenever it finds them.  All that has to happen is for some already-discovered node to exchange data with one of the one(s) you don't want to monitor, and that will put an entry for it in the discovered node's ARP cache.  When netmon does a config check it will find that entry, ping the device, and add it back to the database.

You use the seed file to both promote discovery and to restrict it.  Read about it in the books.  You can exclude individual nodes or IP ranges.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Caballero, Herman - Herman E" <Herman.E.Caballero@lowes.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

07/14/2004 08:57 AM
Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] Node keeps coming back

I’ve submitted this question back in June and I must have stumped everyone.  But, I thought I would try again before I open a PMR.

I have a location that we do not longer monitor.   So, I deleted everything from the GUI, etc/hosts, and seed file.  But, for some reason it keeps reappearing on the map.  I remember a while back when I was running Netview on Windows, I had to go to the object database and delete all related entries to that location from it.  Do, I have to do the same in Netview 7.1.3 AIX?

Thanks,

Herman E. Caballero