RE: [nv-l] The PMD

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] The PMD
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:26:18 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 02:42:17 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
The PMD? Do you mean /usr/OV/bin/pmd, the so-called Postmaster Daemon? It figures big in OpenView architecture but in NetView for Unix, it's an anachronism. In OpenView, it's the trap receiver who forwards events to trapd. In Net View it was conceived as the receiver for non-SNMP communications, such as CMIP/CMOT; but that protocol has all but disappeared, so pmd doesn't really have much purpose any more. It doesn't even exist on Windows because it's not really necessary, but it still maintains the communication infrastructure on Unix. So until the code gets rewritten to move those routines to some other daemon, we still have pmd.

I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in pmd, so if that's not the PMD you meant, I'll understand

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for Dean Sullinger <DSullinger@dot.state.az.us>Dean Sullinger <DSullinger@dot.state.az.us>

          Dean Sullinger <DSullinger@dot.state.az.us>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          08/02/04 05:49 PM
          Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

cc

Subject

RE: [nv-l] The PMD

Can someone tell me what the PMD is? I've looked through the Redbooks and must be missing it someplace (also, I've had to rebuild my Laptop recently and lost all my Redbooks so not sure if I'm looking in the right place).

Thanks

Dean

GIF image