Re: [nv-l] BadOID for new enterprise device

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] BadOID for new enterprise device
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 07:59:53 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:12:41 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

1.  When you do an upgrade install, your old customized files are preserved and should be migrated to the new level.  That said, the savvy system administrator always, always has a back-up somewhere else.
2.  Smartset membership is dynamic.  Once the OID is known, the objects will be moved from the BadOid smartset, but their individual symbols will not be updated.  Symbols are chosen once, at discovery time, and you will have to delete and rediscover these devices to get new symbols for them.
3. Tell you IBM/Tivoli marketing (best idea) or call Support and tell them you want to be a member of the Tivoli Partners program.  They should be able to put you in touch with folks who can get you into the program, and then your contact in the program can put you in touch with development to see that your OID  is part of the product for future releases.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Mrs Bigglesteeth" <mrsbigglesteeth@hotmail.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

08/03/2004 05:35 PM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] BadOID for new enterprise device

Hi,

My company has a developed a new SNMP agent that is discovered by NetView
and placed in the expected network maps.  However, the devices are also
displayed in the BadOID smartset.

I searched the forum for situations like this and realized that we must
modify some files so that NetView recognizes our sysObjectID.  I've modified
the oid_to_sym, oid_to_type, and snmp_fields files to do this.  I then
deleted all the associated symbols, cleared the database and then performed
discovery again.  Now our devices are no longer in the BadOID smartset but
in the smartset I expect it to belong to.  Everything worked fine.

My questions are as follows:
1.  If one upgrades NetView (say from 7.1.3 to 7.1.4) will the modified
files mentioned above be replaced and therefore, need to be modified again?

2.  Is it necessary to manually remove symbols from the BadOID smartset and
perform another discovery, or will the symbol be removed and updated on the
next scheduled discovery?

3.  Is there a way to get our Enterprise OID added to NetView's files so
that future releases of the product will recognize our devices and assign
the appropriate symbol to it?  I imagine we have to contact Tivoli for this
but I don't know what the procedure would be to do this.

Regards,