RE: [nv-l] a 'scoreboard'?

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] a 'scoreboard'?
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:20:35 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:33:11 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

No one is answering so here's a bit on the side.  There are no built in functions like a scoreboard that I'm aware of.  Most of the installations I know of use SmartSets to aggregate the nodes by IP Status. They look at the SmartSet and eyeball how the situation is.  Here's the definition I use for the Critical Smartset:

      SmartSet: CriticalNodes

              Rule: ((('IP Status' = 'Critical') || ('Layer2Status' = 'Critical')) && ('isNode'=True))

You can write your own scorecard Here's something reconstructed from a class I taught on NetView for AIX some years ago.  We had our kicks popping up boxes on student workstations.  This assumes you have the Smartsets set up for each status you are monitoring and use the target stations IP address.  Reschedule it for redisplay by adding an "at" command.  It will accumulate windows though -- which was where the "fun" came in -- opening a couple dozen or hundred windows on the display station which the victim then had to close one by one.

        export DISPLAY=9.63.61.142:0.0

        CritCount=`nvUtil l CriticalNodes | wc -l`

        UnmnCount=`nvUtil l Unmanaged | wc -l`

        ovxbeep Critical Nodes ${CritCount} -- Unmanaged ${UnmnCount}

For an improved version of this written by a colleague (it limits the open windows to one and uses NetView's OVXBEEP command) search the net for "APCBEEP".

Bill Evans