RE: [nv-l] NetView for AIX - reports

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] NetView for AIX - reports
From: "Ray Westphal" <westphal2002@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:54:39 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:03:22 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Mario,

I create lots of inventory reports using nvdbformat, nvUtil, xnmsnmpconf. nvUtil is very easy. But I would say the most important tools are the scripting languages available in Unix.

Here are some reports I run:
    Inventory of all Cisco switches on the map - including S/N, IOS level, RO comm string, RW comm string, Model (from MIB)
    Inventory of Cisco routers similar to switch report
    Inventory of HP switches
    Inventory of MicroSoft servers
    List of devices sending me traps that are not on the map
    List of devices sending me traps to the wrong interface
    List of devices sending me traps that I cannot query
    List of devices on the map that cannot be resolved (forward or reverse lookup) IMPORTANT!
    List of devices sending duplex mismatch traps
    List of node downs/ups or interface down/ups for the last 24 hours
    Report how the polling is behaving and send a page (Thanks to Leslie for pingstatus and snmpstatus)
    Web site with a summary of down or marginal routers

and many more .........

For the most part - the customer tells me what they want. Usually it is a flat file or CSV file so they can manipulate with Access or Excel. You can also add menu items to pull up the files or open a browser, etc. You can use mail to format the report into HTML and send to the recipients. And I have access to an Oracle database so I can easily upload CSV files into Oracle tables. Then the Web gurus can create all kinds of neat interfaces.

Tell us what you want to include in your reports. Maybe we can get you started.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car