Re: [nv-l] Layout in rulesets

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Layout in rulesets
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:48:03 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:03:28 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

No, there is not.  The editor reads in the stored ruleset file and builds an iconic representation of it in the workspace.  The layout algorithm is optimized to display the contents of the ruleset in a small amount of space so that you have a lot of room to add things, by drag and drop from the templates.  When you edit an existing ruleset, and you click and hold the middle mouse button to drag an existing icon over to a new location so that you can work on it, that positioning is just temporary, for the life of the edit session .  It is not a permanent part of the ruleset file which gets stored.   Only the contents of what you have built are stored.     It  would take a very large re-design of the facility to store and use that temporary positioning as a permanent thing.  Not only would the editor have to be changed, but nvcorrd as well, since he also reads in the ruleset, and he'd have to be made to skip over whatever X and Y coordinates were now a part of the file.

But I am curious why this should be such an issue for you.  In the seven years I have been working on NetView,  no one has ever asked me that question before.  Most rulesets are built, tested, edited once or twice, tested until they are shown to work, and that's it.  Once they work, there is little left to do.  You must be building something very large or very complex for this issue to a be a real problem.  Or am I missing something?

Regards

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

alejandro.gabay@reuters.com
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

09/01/2004 11:23 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Layout in rulesets

Hi All, is there any way to disable the auto layout in the ruleset editor?
It is really annoying that every time we open the ruleset to edit it the manually, the ruleset editor replaces the manually set by another one created by its own.
I am running 7.1.4 FP2 on Solaris 8.

B. Regards & THKS.
Alejandro Gabay

Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual
sender,  except  where  the sender specifically states them to be
the views of Reuters Ltd.