RE: [nv-l] Using Microsoft SQL in NetView

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Using Microsoft SQL in NetView
From: "Jaano Rosin" <J.Rosin@sampopank.ee>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:10:59 +0300
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:22:03 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I take a liberty to answer myself. I've also migrated from Access to MSSQL.
Procedure is rather simple.

1. Create Netview databases to MSSQL, it is done by running either
\usr\ov\databases\odbc\create_sqldb.bat --if you have mssql 6.5 or
\usr\ov\databases\odbc\create_sqldb7.bat --for mssql 7 (2000)

You must specify one parameter - drive letter where netview is located
Bat file creates database schemas, stored procs whatever is needed.

2. go to odbc manager, system DSN tab. (firs of course ensure that NV is not
running)

2.a _Delete_ following data sources:
Nvdbexport_ds, snmpcollect_ds and topo2sql_ds

2.b Recreate them but this time use mssql driver, usually "SQL Server", use
localhost, and specify default database as NetviewDb.
Use exactly same settings for all of them (three), only difference is the name.

Done. Start your NV daemons.

If you want to migrate existing data to SQL then I guess you have to use MS
Access for pumping.

Another thing, if youre going to build your own tools for NV DB take a good
look at nvdbexport proggie, it just exports NV _internal_ database to mssql or
whatever location. There's also some ODBC configuration is required.

Jaano Rosin

--- random quote (honestly) ---
A nuclear war can ruin your whole day.