RE: [nv-l] Netmon is to slow to ping the ping list

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Netmon is to slow to ping the ping list
From: Maxime TRANNOY <MTRANNOY@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:26:32 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:45:47 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

hanks for you answer, the variable set to 1 solve my problem

Cordialement.

Maxime TRANNOY
IGS - Network Delivery Support Center
Tel : +33 (0) 492 114 767
mailto:mtrannoy@fr.ibm.com

             "Colin
             Mulkerrins"
             <Colin.Mulkerrins                                          To
             @anpost.ie>               <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.
             us.ibm.com                                            Subject
                                       RE: [nv-l] Netmon is to slow to
                                       ping the ping list
             07-09-2004 10:26

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi,

Have a look at your values for the variables RES_RETRY and RES_TIMEOUT
on the AIX box.  We were having similar issues here with the client DNS
resolver taking 90 seconds to time out in the event of a failed ping,
thus delaying the next ping etc etc. We reset these two variables to 1
and things improved dramatically. (Thanks due to Jane Curry :-))

(They should be defined in /etc/environment)

Regards

Colin Mulkerrins
Enterprise Systems Management
An Post