RE: [nv-l] EVent Browser flooded with useless events

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] EVent Browser flooded with useless events
From: "Alan E. Hennis" <Hennis_Alan_E@cat.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:22:29 -0500
Cc: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>, owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:41:40 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
May I add that although this is the easiest thing to do it is better to
stop the traps from being sent from the source. NetView still has to
process all the traps, even if you don't log or display. It is best to stop
all unnecessary traps from the source. NetView has limits as to how many
traps it can process per second. IBM has told me it is about 10-12 traps
per second.

Thanks
Alan E. Hennis
Caterpillar Inc.
Systems+Process Division
309.494.3308
hennis_alan_e@cat.com

             "Qureshi, Fawad"
             <Fawad.Qureshi@ss
             a.gov>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          To
             us.ibm.com                "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'"
                                       <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
                                                                        cc
             09/09/2004 10:08
             AM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm                                     Subject
                   .com                RE: [nv-l] EVent Browser flooded
                                       with useless events

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 10/09/2004
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

Easiest thing to do is use the "Don't Log or Display" option from xnmtrap
for the traps you do not want to see.

Fawad