Re: [nv-l] Event display Workspaces Title Not showing

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Event display Workspaces Title Not showing
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:43:31 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:43:59 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

  You are saying that get the additional workspaces but not the correct  titles in them?  I have no idea why.   My advice is to go try this on the server itself and see what happens there.  Using exported X displays often has strange effects and this is often true if the telnet box is not the same OS as the server.   I don't know what to tell you to do about that.  You'll just have to experiment.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

10/18/2004 02:37 PM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] Event display Workspaces Title Not showing

Thanks James ...
If this applies to the "Events Display Application Main Workspace", how come the Dynamic Workspace that I created do not have Titles as well even if they had one when created?

Help !!!!

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

The server truncates the default title
"Events Display Application Main Workspace" to just "Events", but if you make it something else, then your title will be used.   If memory serves me, the reason for this was that the title "Events Display Application Main Workspace" was too long when translated into one or the other of the double-byte languages like Japanese, Chinese, or Korean, and wouldn't display properly on the title bar.

When you make changes to the Nvevents file, you must make certain that those changes get  merged with the Xdefaults in use on the server.   When the Common Desktop Environment became standard, ! the Xdefaults files were no longer re-read automatically.  So if you don't  log out and back in again, or reboot the box, then you usually have to enter an xrdb command to do it explicitly.  On Solaris I would use

       /usr/openwin/bin/xrdb -merge  <path>Nvevents

If you are using the same app-defaults file as everyone else then your path would be "/usr/OV/app-defaults/Nvevents".  If you made a local copy, then use that path.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

10/18/2004 11:49 AM
Please respond to

netview Tivoli <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Event display Workspaces Title Not showing

NV 7.1.3 FP2 SOLARIS

Hi Folks,
I am telneting to my Netview server (nvserver) from a remote UNix Server (remoteserver) to launch the Client.
After doing the following:
1- "xhost +" on nvserver
2- "xhost +" on remoteserver
3 - telnet to nvserver from remoteserver
4 - set the DISPLAY variable on remoteserver (using ksh)
5- launch netview client from remoteserver.

I have configured my Workspace to be saved and launched when the cleint starts .... but to my surprise, the Workspace Titles do not show up

here is my NvEnrionment/Workspace file ...
Workspace Main
Label ""
Dimensions 0005 0044 0800 0480
Initial Normal
Presentation LIST
FreezeResolution False
FilterButton False
RingBellButton False
FreezeButton False
ActiveFilters None
EndWorkspace

Workspace Dynamic
Label ""
Dimensions 0005 0084 1142 0728
Initial Normal
Presentation LIST
FreezeResolution True
FilterButton False
RingBellButton False
FreezeButton False
Title "CISCO"
IconLabel "CISCO"
Correlation "forwardall.rs"
Rule
Category 4294967295 4294967295
Severity 4294967295
Source 4294967295
ActiveFilters None
StringSet
 Include "gw"
 Include "phub"
 Include "sw"
 Exclude "sms"
EndStringSet
EndRule
EndWorkspace

Workspace Dynamic
Label ""
Dimensions 0010 0108 0794 0273
Initial Normal
Presentation LIST
FreezeResolution False
FilterButton False
RingBellButton False
FreezeButton False
Title "CISCO_DOWNS"
IconLabel "CISCO_DOWNS"
Correlation "/usr/OV/conf/rulesets/All_Cisco_Down.rs"
Rule
Category 4294967295 4294967295
Severity 4294967295
Source 4294967295
ActiveFilters None
StringSet
 Include "gw"
 Include "sw"
 Include "phub"
 Exclude "sms"
EndStringSet
EndRule
EndWorkspace
EndEnvironment
====================================

Q1: Any Ideas?
Q2: Why is the Main Workspace showing the Title "Events" instead of "Events Display Application Main Workspace" as configured by the Nvevents file
===================
!
! defines if nvevents execute commands or not
!
nvevents.executeCommands : False
!
! defines the main workspace title
!
nvevents.mainWorkspaceTitle : Events Display Application Main Workspace
!
! defines the static workspaces title
!
nvevents.staticWorkspaceTitle : Static Workspace
!
! defines if nvevents loads an existing environment file
!
nvevents.loadEnvOnInit : True
!
! defines if nvevents saves all workspaces during exit process
!
nvevents.saveEnvOnExit : True
!
! defines if nvevents consider Static & Loaded workspaces during loading, or saving
!
nvevents.considerStaticWrkSpcs : False
!

Help please