Re: [nv-l] DNS or hosts file resolution

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] DNS or hosts file resolution
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:57:13 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:57:45 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Federico,
One thing I might suggest is working with your DNS admins to
create a secondary DNS server on your NetView machine. Then
don't let anyone else request DNS from the NetView machine
except for NetView. You can also use a caching name server on
the local machine. You most likely do NOT want to update a hosts
file on a regular basis and it will also slow performance as the hosts
file gets largers.

Just a few things to think about.

Paul

Federico Vidal wrote:

Hello:
Does anyone has an idea or rule to follow when deciding how to resolve names with Netview? I'm aware that Netview extensively uses name resoltion, especially with large databases. This will affect DNS server performance if it is not a dedicated server. Also I'm aware that very long /etc/hosts can cause Netview delays. This option is also trickier because it is another thing to maintain besides de DNS. Both scopes have advantages and disadvantages. My questions to the list are: Is there a guideline or rule to follow when deciding when to use or not use the corporate DNS server?
How large has to be the /etc/hosts file to hinder Netview's performance?
What is the impact of Neview to the DNS server?
Best Regards and thanks, Federico Vidal