Re: [nv-l] to handle traps

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] to handle traps
From: Gildas.Plouzennec@alcatel.fr
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:37:17 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:37:56 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Thank you for your prompt answer François.

And to continue on the subject : how can I manage the correlation aspect (trap UP about a device default, then a couple of minutes later, trap DOWN for the same device default). I would like to show only the initial alarm (trap UP) but with a "cleared" status.

Thanks again

Rgds,

Gildas PLOUZENNEC

ALCATEL e-SD Professional Services

Francois Le Hir wrote:

Bonjour Gildas,

I would make sure that the first trap is "Log Only" so that it won't show
in the Event Browser. You can run a script when this trap is received
(either from automatic action in the trap configuration or from a ruleset)
and this script will analyse the content of the variable and if the proper
severity is found, send a new trap configured to appear in the Event
Browser.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 964 2145

Gildas.Plouzennec @alcatel.fr Sent by: To owner-nv-l@lists. nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com us.ibm.com cc Subject 10/29/2004 09:33 [nv-l] to handle traps AM Please respond to nv-l

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to handle traps, and specifically, remove a trap
in the database, so in the "event browser".
I have looked for something like a "specific" trap to send to trap
daemon to remove a given one, but I found nothing.

My real issue is : I receive snmp trap from an application, but with a
"compact" format, that means all fields I need (as severity, ...) are
grouped in one single string. So I must analyse this string and then
display the trap in the event browser according to what I found (by
default, the trap is indeterminate, but in the string i can find a
severity equal to critical, so i would like to remove the received trap
from the browser and display it again but with the right severity).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Rgds,

--
Gildas PLOUZENNEC