Re: Antwort: Re: [nv-l] AIX433_MINIMAL_IMAGE_99285

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: [nv-l] AIX433_MINIMAL_IMAGE_99285
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:03:54 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:37:19 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Yes, it is.  Each NetView DB contains the  hostname and IP address of the owning box.  When you transfer databases, you should be doing "/usr/OV/service/reset_ci"  immediately afterward to get that portion of the database rebuilt and the owner of the map reset.  If you aren't doing that, then you may have other problems down the road, such as being unable to register or deregister a daemon, or unable to open the map.  The  ORSD daemon owns the portion of the database that we are referring to and that's why your  ovorsutil -f'  was effective in this case.  But I would do the reset_ci rather than that, as it does more things than ovorsutil.  Note that reset_ci also stops most of the daemons when it runs, which is why you should do it immediately after the transfer.   Now you should schedule it when it is convenient.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

wolfgang.nilz@arz.co.at
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

11/10/2004 09:03 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Antwort: Re: [nv-l] AIX433_MINIMAL_IMAGE_99285

In the meantime it worked and I wondered why. We had a reorg of the obj-DB in the meantime Then I changed the field again and tried 'netview -fields' and the error happend again! Than I remembered that we had a reorg of the DB some days before (the DB is copied from our primary netivew to our test-node)

I wondered, if something is cached.

I tried 'ovorsutil -f' (flush cache) and it worked!

Could this be the reason?

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Nilz
Allgemeines Rechenzentrum GmbH
Netzwerkgruppe
Wide Area Networks

A-6020 Innsbruck, Tschamlerstraße 2

Tel.: +43 / (0)504009-1292
Fax: +43 / (0)504009-1382
E-Mail:
wolfgang.nilz@arz.co.at
http://www.arz.co.at

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Gesendet von: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

05.11.2004 19:04
Bitte antworten an
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

An
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Kopie
Thema
Re: [nv-l] AIX433_MINIMAL_IMAGE_99285

Works for me on AIX 5.1, but I have 7.1.4 FP02 installed there.  Still, I know of no code changes in this area.  And in 7.1.4 we shipped zos_fields, so we've added our own new fields on all platforms.

Can you execute ovw_fields if you remove your custom file?

I don't work on that code, but the first time you run it with a new file in the directory it does a "create", all subsequent times it does a "verify", and what you are doing is making entries in the database.

Have you changed any permissions in /usr/OV/databases?  How about /usr/OV/bin?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Disclaimer:
Diese Nachricht dient ausschließlich zu Informationszwecken und ist nur für den Gebrauch des Empfängers bestimmt.

This message is only for informational purposes and is intended solely for the use of the addressee.