Re: [nv-l] ovtstatus

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ovtstatus
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:47:32 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:48:33 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
You are in luck!  ovstop, ovstart and ovstatus are all the same executable, which is replicated three times with a different name to provide convenience.  Do an "ls -l ovst*" and  "cksum ovst*" and you'll see that this is true.  Just copy ovstop or ovstart to a new file, /usr/OV/bin/ovstatus, and that should suffice.

In the case of other executables you would not be so lucky.  The installation install code on the CD cannot be made to give up a single file from out of the various file packages, so far as I know.  You'd have to install the code on another box and ftp over what you'd lost, or do a backup of user data from serversetup, delete your current NetView,  and then do a migration (upgrade) install.  Then, if you have FixPacks or test fixes applied, you'd have to re-apply those.

 If you absolutely couldn't do either of those, then you most likely have to open a call to IBM Support as a Priority one issue.  It may seem silly, but there are problems with sending proprietary computer code outside the United States these days.  While even ovstatus is not a complex piece of code,  I believe that it would unfortunately violate both international copyright laws and US technology export laws for me, or anyone else in US, to just send it to you.  But if you go through channels, so that your identity and entitlement is verified, then there is no problem.   So that's why you'd need a call to IBM Support for anything which was not duplicated.

Once you get ovstatus back working, my guess is that you are going to tar up all of  /usr/OV and save it somewhere; perhaps to tape or compressed in another filesystem.  Good idea.  It never hurts to have  a backup.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Eduardo Oliveira Scricco (Service)" <escricco@rge-rs.com.br>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

11/12/2004 02:11 PM
Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] ovtstatus

Hi all,

I accidentally deleted the "ovstatus" from /usr/OV/bin in my Netview.
Where I can get it?

Thanks
Eduardo