Re: [nv-l] netmon.seed

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] netmon.seed
From: Bill Evans <wvevans@epix.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:18:31 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:19:05 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Happy Thanksgiving, from America, on our national holiday. The description of the seed file just isn't clear enough in the documentation. Adding an entry to the seed file PERMITS it to discover the addresses covered. Only an individual IP address FORCES a discovery (on Unix) or the explicit addressing of an address in the range with a PING or other NetView reference to the address. The second step is to read how discovery proceeds and Mario Behring addressed that point. Including the individual address of a router will cause NetView to read the ARP cache on that node and proceed to discover all the devices in the cache. Then it reads the caches in those devices and the discover proceeds. In the early days the NetView development group thought that it was interesting to put in the entry 9.*.*.* (the IBM Class A network) and the address of a router somewhere in the world (like Spain) and watch the discovery proceed until the AIX machines of the day crashed from the overload. I still have a copy of the screen capture.
Bill Evans

Paqui Martinez Moreno/OPENSOLUTIONS wrote:

Hi All: Netview 7.1.4 FixPack1 AIX 5.2 I am trying to discover the objects using the netmon.seed and the option to discover for wildcard including ranges .
The format of my seed files is:
 @limit_discovery
10.125.16.*
but this not works  ,  el Netview does not discover anything.
If I put the ip adrress : 10.125.16.1 it works fine , the object is discovered Thanks
IPaqui Martinez Moreno
E-mail: paqui.martinez@opensolutions.es <mailto:paqui.martinez@opensolutions.es>
Tfno.914160562