Re: [nv-l] ODM

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ODM
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:03:50 -0500
Cc: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com, owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:04:18 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
more investigation.
I can tell you that I have installed on AIX 5.2 and haven't seen it.

ODM is "Object Data Manager" , the AIX object registration facility, which
gets updated by the commands, ovaddobj and ovdelobj,  when you use
serversetup invokes ovdelobj to delete the old registration, and ovaddobj
to add the new one you just created in the panel.  These NetView commands
in turn call odmdelete to remove the old registration from the AIX object
database and odmadd to add the new one.   Offhand, the message would mean
that the odmdelete and odmadd parts of this process are failing, but it is
difficult to understand how you could get "Can't Open ODM"  as long as you were
root.

What should you do?  My advice would be to run /usr/OV/service/reset_ci,
which will stop most of the daemons  except those it needs to run, and
then update the NetView database with the information about the box that
NetView is on.  Then try serversetup again and bring up the remaining
daemons with ovstart.  If that doesn't help, however, I'd call Support.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Delaire, Patrick" <delairep@aetna.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
12/01/2004 05:07 PM
Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc

Subject
[nv-l] ODM

I recently upgraded from AIX.5.1 with Netview 7.1.3   to    AIX 5.2 with
Netview 7.1.4
While attempting to use  'SERVERSETUP'  command, receive msg  "Can't Open
ODM"
Is this condition an AIX 5.2  issue or Netview 7.1.4 ?
I don't receive any other indication of where the error is being generated
from or what component is failing.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Patrick.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by
reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately. Thank you. Aetna