Re: [nv-l] Ruleset filter question

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Ruleset filter question
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:37:38 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:38:09 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Craig,

My advice is to get this working on the native GUI first, and then look at the web client. It is only derivative. Then you can separate web client issues from issue with your ruleset itself. Divide and conquer is always the best problem-solving strategy.

You should also search the archives for my document on ruleset performance hints and tips.
Querying 5 smartsets is NOT a very good idea, performance-wise. The overhead of that is enormous. And your ruleset says that for every single trap in the system, even the ones which aren't about nodes, you want them checked for node membership in a smartset. That's a lot of processing, and most of it for nothing.. You should try limiting your traps first with something like a Trap Settings or an Event Attributes before you query a smartset.

But I would try this first with native X-GUI event windows (just start nvevents) and if it still does not work, then turn on the nvcorrd trace with "nvcdebug-d all" and see what's happening in the nvcorrd.alog and blog when your event goes through.

HTH

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for "Freter, Craig" <Craig.Freter@ssa.gov>"Freter, Craig" <Craig.Freter@ssa.gov>

          "Freter, Craig" <Craig.Freter@ssa.gov>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          12/14/2004 09:21 AM
          Please respond to

"'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[nv-l] Ruleset filter question

Hello,

I have a question regarding how to use NetView rulesets to Filter events. I
created a ruleset, WAN_links.rs, that queries 5 different smartsets before
forwarding the traps.

Here is the text of the ruleset

RuleSet21 RuleSet NVQryColl22 NVQryColl24 NVQryColl26 NVQryColl28
NVQryColl30
"" 0
NVQryColl22 NVQryColl ForwardCorr23
Origin Serial_Device 1 ""
ForwardCorr23 ForwardCorr
""
NVQryColl24 NVQryColl ForwardCorr25
Origin HSSI_Device 1 ""
ForwardCorr25 ForwardCorr
""
NVQryColl26 NVQryColl ForwardCorr27
Origin Tunnel_Device 1 ""
ForwardCorr27 ForwardCorr
""
NVQryColl28 NVQryColl ForwardCorr29
Origin Multilink_Device 1 ""
ForwardCorr29 ForwardCorr
""
NVQryColl30 NVQryColl ForwardCorr31
Origin POS_Device 1 ""
ForwardCorr31 ForwardCorr
""

I did NOT add this ruleset to file ESE.automation, as there is no action
associated with it. It will only forward traps for the purpose of filtering.

In order to test I started a NetView web console session, opened the Event
Browser, and selected ruleset WAN_links.rs. I then used the event command to
send a trap to NetView.

event -E 0058916867 -h "xxx-xxx-xxx-n4ea1.xxx.xxx:Serial0/0.2" -a "test
event"

This event show up in the "All Events" filter, but not in the WAN_links.rs
filter.
I verified that object "xxx-xxx-xxx-n4ea1.xxx.xxx:Serial0/0.2" is part of
smartset Serial_Device using command:
nvUtil l Serial_Device | grep n4ea1

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong, or what I should try next?

Thanks.

--
Craig Freter

(See attached file: Freter, Craig.vcf)