Re: [nv-l] How to manage devices having conflicting IP interfaces?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] How to manage devices having conflicting IP interfaces?
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 07:20:50 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:21:18 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Bartlomiej,
Try defining all the duplicate addresses as HSRP. NetView will handle them
OK. Make sure you use SNMP polling for the devices.

Paul

Bartlomiej Grenda wrote:

Hello

I've got difficult problem with correct NetView configuration for certain
WAN network.
Please consider following scenario:
- WAN network consists of several sites
- Every router in WAN network is managed using its unique loopback IP
address
- Every site has two routers
- In every site on LAN side routers act as HSRP pair
- In every site on WAN side both routers have IDENTICAL IP address
definitions on IDENTICAL physical interfaces. Only on one router interface
is active/UP  (simply - cable is connected), second interface is DOWN (just
cable disconnected, not "ADMINISTRATIVELY DOWN").
- There is NO way I can influence routers configuration. All I have is
ICMP, SNMP read only access.

In that case for every site NetView behaves in following way:
- START: conflicting IP interfaces exist on router1 (interfaces are UP).
- NetView does configuration poll on router2. NetView finds that that on
router2 exists IP adresses that exists on router1 too. NetView removes
these interfaces from router1 and put it in router2.Interfaces are in DOWN
state. "Interface down" and "Router marginal" traps are sent.
- NetView does configuration poll on router1. NetView finds that that on
router1 exists IP adresses that exists at this moment exists on router2
too. NetView removes these interfaces from router2 and put it back in
router1.Interfaces are in now UP state. "Interface up" and "Router up"
traps are sent.
- Back to START. Repeat.

I tried to unmanage conflicting intrefaces on router2, but it gets removed
after configuration poll on router1, and reappear (in "DOWN" state) after
next configuration poll on router2.

How can I manage correctly that network without misinterpreting its state
by NetView IP map and traps? Totally unmanaging router2 is not an option
for me - I still ned to know its status... Any solutions, suggestions,
tips?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Bartlomiej Grenda