Re: [nv-l] Specific traps to a different log

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Specific traps to a different log
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:26:37 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:27:27 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I think you'd be better off just post -processing the trapd.log. grep for the records you want and log 'em
grep <unique_trap_string> /usr/OV/log/trapd.log > my.trap.log

You see trapd uses undocumented internal routines to read the trapd.conf file and merge that with the trap variables to produce the text you see in the trapd.log. You'd have to write your own script to do that. Post-processing is much better. It keeps the original log intact and let's you make another at your leisure., a lot less overhead

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for "Clinkscales, Charles" <cclinkscales@firstam.com>"Clinkscales, Charles" <cclinkscales@firstam.com>

          "Clinkscales, Charles" <cclinkscales@firstam.com>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          01/07/2005 04:09 PM
          Please respond to

"'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[nv-l] Specific traps to a different log

Hello All,

I am running Netview 7.1.4 fixpatch1 on AIX 5.1

I would like to log a specific trap into a different file besides trapd.log. I think I can use the "Command for Automatic Action" option within the trap configuration. But what is the command I should use? I would like for the log file to contain all of the same information that is written to trapd.log.

Thanks for your help,

Charlie Clinkscales

GIF image