Re: [nv-l] Re: [nv-l] Discovering networks without switches but with DHC

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Re: [nv-l] Discovering networks without switches but with DHCP Nodes
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:15:41 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:16:14 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Camron,

Please don't send me personal notes. My replies have to be to the list.

Do you have SNMP enabled anywhere? NetView is an SNMP-manager and automatic discovery is going to depend on reading the ARP caches of the devices you have discovered, using SNMP, to find new devices. If you have no SNMP anywhere, then you are going to have to populate your database manually using the loadhosts command. But I thought you said that when you manually pinged devices, then netmon added them to the map correctly. Are the subnet masks correct or not? If not, then once again you will have to use loadhosts to add new nodes, and you may very well have to delete the "bad" once you have and load them afresh correctly, since without SNMP, netmon would have no way to confirm that what he guessed as the subnet mask was correct.

You can put not non-SNMP nodes in the seed file, but as the doc explains, there is risk that they will be discovered with he wrong subnet mask since netmon will have to guess at it.

The issue of DHCP is murkier, and not being the netmon expert, I'm not certain what to say. Perhaps someone else will respond. But if your DHCP nodes don't have SNMP, then I think we are going to have a hard time identifying them as DHCP.

If you don't get the response your are looking for here, then I suggest a call to IBM Support, so that you can get personalized help.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for Camron R <gundulf@walla.com>Camron R <gundulf@walla.com>

          Camron R <gundulf@walla.com>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          01/11/2005 11:54 AM
          Please respond to

James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[nv-l] Re: Re: [nv-l] Discovering networks without switches but with DHCP Nodes

Thanks, James.
But I still have questions:
1) Can I put not SNMP supported nodes on the seed file?
2) Can I use the same flagging of DHCP nodes from the seed file on Windows version on the Linux version??

<jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Re: [nv-l] Discovering networks without switches but with DHCP Nodes
If you and not going to enable SNMP on key devices, so that netmon can do discovery for you, then you are going to have to use a seed file.
You can read all about seed files in the NetView books (and there is much about them in the archives as well). You did install the books didn't you?

Basically you will have to include seeds from each of your major sites, and each of the switches/routers/gateways you want to monitor between them.

Seed files are also how you deal with DHCP nodes. These get flagged in the seed file as well.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Walla! Mail - get your free mail today

GIF image