[nv-l] NMAVAILABILITY and decoding availability data files

Subject: [nv-l] NMAVAILABILITY and decoding availability data files
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:50:15 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:50:53 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I am interested in getting availability data - simple node/interface - how long has an element been down. There is obviously no MIB variable that will give you this.

On way is to process trapd.log looking for Node / Interface Up/Down events and I'm sure some people have done this (anyone willing to contribute such a script to the NetView Tivoli User Group website????).

However, if you set the environment variable NMAVAILABILITY=True then you get daily files created in /usr/OV/databases with names in the form availData_yyyymmdd. These files were originally then fed into Tivoli Decision Support and now are destined for Data Warehouse. I don't need all the functionality of these performance reporting programs - I just want to make sense of the availability files.

Looking at the files, there seem to be 3 fields such as:
167772351    -1  1107083385
167772351     1   1107083647

The last field is time since the epoch. The 1 / -1 seems to represent up/down, but how do I code the first field which obviously refers to the node / interface in question??? I have a suspicion that the first digit is 1 for a node and 2 for an interface - other than that, I have to assume that there is some sort of translation from the NetView object id to the rest of that first entry. I've never seen this file documented anywhere (but maybe I've just failed to find it?). Anyone know how to decode this?? It seems a shame to write my own trapd.log processing script when NetView obviously already has a good mechanism to generate availability data files.

Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2005 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights