Re: [nv-l] [nvcold] memory leak ?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] [nvcold] memory leak ?
From: Gareth Holl <gholl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:21:15 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:21:48 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

This should be resolved in Fixpack 2.. The relevant APAR number is IY56958. I just had a customer with a very similar problem who applied Fixpack 2 and his feedback was that it worked.

Cheers,

Gareth Holl
Staff Software Engineer
gholl@us.ibm.com

ITIL Foundations Certified
IBM Certified Deployment Professional
       --Tivoli Data Warehouse v1.2
       --Tivoli Enterprise Console v3.8 Network Management

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Software
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.

"Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

02/04/2005 10:53 AM
Please respond to

"'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] [nvcold] memory leak ?

About once a week I get an alert from ITM advising me "'The percentage of available swap space is low 49%"
nvcold is always the problem. nmon indicates it has aquired over 1.2G of memory.
I have a a few rulesets in ESE.automation that judiciously test smartset membership.
I have re-written many of my custom tools to not use nvUtil.
But still, I have to recycle nvcold about once a week.
The memory use, after a recycle, drops to arond 1M, but over time it will continue to grow.

If I do not act quickly to recycle nvcold it will core dump, ovwdb will hang and require comleteley recycing NetView daemons to recover.

Is there a fix for nvcold?

NetView 7.1.4 SP1
AIX 5.2 ML02
Platform: 7026-6H1 (660)
6way 750Mhz
6G RAM  4G paging space

Thanks,
Don Davis

This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.