RE: [nv-l] trap format not right!

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] trap format not right!
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:21:31 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:22:58 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Larry,

The listserver will not forward large appends, so your posting does not have MIB files attached.

I think that part of the problem here is that you are expecting more than you can get. You say for example that the trapd.log
shows that the hostname of the Nokia device is 0.0.0.0. and even the origin. Well, that is not a formatting issue that you can solve by loading a MIB. That means that the Nokia device is actually sending 0.0.0.0 as the source address of the trap. We could verify this with a trapd.trace and a hex dump of the incoming trap if needs be, but the source of this problem is most likely to be the configuration of the remote Nokia device itself.

I also notice in your previous append that you posted this example
 " TEC_ITS_BASE - Agent Interface Down (linkDown
> Trap)
> enterprise:ENTERPRISES (1.3.6.1.4.1.94.1.21.2.1.12)
> args(1):  [1]
> mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.5
> (Integer): 5  "

as what you saw. Is this from trapd.log or from TEC? The reason I ask is because when the trap definition in trapd.conf is missing, the trap will show up in trapd.log with a "wrapper" around it which says "NO FMT FOUND" for the following trap. But this entry shows no such wording, so it presumably is being properly formatted by what is in trapd.conf already.  You didn't mention what you think is missing here. But this trap looks like all the proper elements have already been formatted in some fashion, and enterprise 1.3.6.1.4.1.94 is Nokia. What is it that you think is missing here?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group