[nv-l] Netmon not responding

Subject: [nv-l] Netmon not responding
From: awatthey@mmm.com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:22:16 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:26:48 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Windows 2000 Server with Tivoli Netview 7.1.4 at FixPack 2 level.

For sometime now I have been getting a strange problem with netmon.  I
decided to upgrade to FixPack 2 before looking into it but this has not
changed anything.  It may well be to do with a configuration setting that I
have set or not set.

When I click on a node on the map and then select either the 'Test -
Quicktest' or 'Test - Demand Poll' option, I get a new window in which the
message 'Waiting for the Network Monitor (netmon) on the server to
respond...

This message continually comes out forever (until I close the window).  The
netmon task is running and it does do all the discovery it should.  It does
seem a bit slow though so perhaps this might explain the problem.  At the
bottom of the screen are the polling and discovery indicators which show
lots of little red boxes.  The CPU and storage are not doing much at all so
I find it hard to believe why netmon is 'Heavily Loaded' as reported by the
'Options - Polling' window.  Something must be set up wrong somewhere.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing this?

Regards,
Alan.