Re: [nv-l] Broke the smartsets

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Broke the smartsets
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:52:59 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:53:35 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Hmm.  I haven't heard of this before, and for that reason, perhaps you
should have Support take a look at the situation.  Basically, it is a
"should not occur" situation and I hate to advise people to start mucking
around with database modification utilities if they aren't willing to risk
losing the whole thing.  You would  be well advised to back up all of
/usr/OV/databases/openview  (make a tar of it and put it somewhere else)
in case you have to restore to the state where you are now.

But there is a utility called colmaint which will do smartset maintenance
even when nvcold is not running.  In fact, it must not be running if you
are going to delete things.  Type in "colmaint -?" to get a list of the
functions.  It will allow you to dump all your definitions to a file, then
you can delete whatever you take to be the offending smartset(s), remove
it's definition from the dump file, and then use the dump file to reload
all the ones you want back.    If you can do everything you need to do with
colmaint, then you should be safe.

But before you do that, however, you might want to  do an ovobjprint and
direct the output to a file (ovobjprint  > my.ovobjprint.out ), so that you
can see the smartsets by viewing the file.  They  are database objects with
the attribute isCollection set to TRUE.  This will help you locate all that
you have defined.  I'd be looking to see whether there is one which is
incomplete and does not have all the same fields as the others or otherwise
looks corrupted.   If there is one, then that's the one I'd delete first
and see whether I could get nvcold to start after that.   The ovobjprint
will also give you the object id's of the smartsets, in case colmaint has a
problem trying to delete them by name.

If this doesn't solve your problem, then you probably should call Support.

Hope this helps,

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Kain, Becki
             \(B.\)"
             <bkain1@ford.com>                                          To
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] Broke the smartsets
             04/28/2005 09:50
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Using the "nvUtil a", I broke our smartset and nvcold wouldn't start.  Is
there a way to pull out the corrupted smartsets from the database?  This
was on netview 7.1.4 for AIX, if that matters.

Thanks in advance

-becki kain