Re: [nv-l] UP/ Down Traps

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] UP/ Down Traps
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 16:02:18 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 May 2005 21:02:58 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Do you have multiple MLMs forwarding traps to NetView?
How about  multiple NetViews  forwarding to each other?
Ruleset or scripts triggered by those traps to send others with snmptrap?
How about the devices themselves?  They have to be configured to send
traps.  Could they have the same destination entry multiple times?

If you cannot figure it out, I would suggest an iptrace of port 162
formatted with ipreport.  Those AIX utilities have man pages on how to use
them.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Catalina
             Martinez"
             <Catalina.Martine                                          To
             z@tlc.state.tx.us         <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             >                                                          cc
             Sent by:
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                     Subject
             us.ibm.com                [nv-l] UP/ Down Traps

             05/04/2005 03:38
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Netview 7.1.4 AIX 5.2

I think this has been asked before:

Why do we receive multiple UP/DOWN events from one trap..
1115214521 3  Wed May 04 08:48:41 2005 S6509B.NET.LOCAL          A Cisco
Agent Interface Down (linkDown Trap) on Port 8/10
1115214524 3  Wed May 04 08:48:44 2005 S6509B.NET.LOCAL          A Cisco
Agent Interface Up (linkUp Trap) on Port 8/10
1115215186 3  Wed May 04 08:59:46 2005 S6509B.NET.LOCAL          A Cisco
Agent Interface Down (linkDown Trap) on Port 8/10
1115215189 3  Wed May 04 08:59:49 2005 S6509B.NET.LOCAL          A Cisco
Agent Interface Up (linkUp Trap) on Port 8/10
1115215242 3  Wed May 04 09:00:42 2005 S6509B.NET.LOCAL          A Cisco
Agent Interface Down (linkDown Trap) on Port 8/10
1115215244 3  Wed May 04 09:00:44 2005 S6509B.NET.LOCAL          A Cisco
Agent Interface Up (linkUp Trap) on Port 8/10
1115215255 3  Wed May 04 09:00:55 2005 S6509B.NET.LOCAL          A Cisco
Agent Interface Down (linkDown Trap) on Port 8/10
1115215258 3  Wed May 04 09:00:58 2005 S6509B.NET.LOCAL          A Cisco
Agent Interface Up (linkUp Trap) on Port 8/10

The logs on the switch or the device do not show that it went down
multiple times. Usually we get 3 up/down  traps (which we question as
well) but this particular time it we received 4 up/down traps.

The only application we run on this server is Netview. It's a big box
(H70 w/ 2 cpus).

A Quick reply. is appreciated. I have management breathing down my neck
for an explanation.

Catalina